Silver Diamine Fluoride (SDF):
- SDF is an antimicrobial liquid; it is painted on teeth to kill bacteria to stop cavities and also prevent future decay. Silver Diamine Fluoride aids in the treatment of caries (cavities) disease process by removing the bacteria that are the crux of the issue. Silver has been used by our ancestors for thousands of years and has lots of applications in modern medicine (eye drops for infants, antimicrobial gauze, etc.) Often, SDF allows us to avoid invasive procedures such as local anesthesia (shots) and drill-and-fill surgical dentistry.
See a few examples of scientific literature below that demonstrate SDF efficacy.
- Glass ionomer is the amazing white-colored material we use for sealants, fillings, and crown placement. The positive characteristics include:
- • Minerals are released from the GI to provide the building blocks to restore and remineralize our natural tooth structure.
- • GI has antimicrobial properties.
- • Biocompatibility = this natural product made of sand mimics our tooth structure.
- • The coefficient of thermal expansion/contraction is similar to our teeth, thus less leakage is observed.
- • It requires less isolation (is easier to use and apply).
See a few examples of scientific literature below regarding the use of GI.
Minimally Invasive Treatment for MIH
MIH (Molar Incisor Hypomineralization) is a common condition we see in baby teeth and adult teeth.
There are 2 key clinical implications: 1.) weaker tooth structure that is more prone to breakdown & 2.) hypersensitivity due to a higher concentration of nerve endings. Silver Diamine Fluoride and Glass Ionomer provide great results in addressing these 2 concerns. By utilizing the technique illustrated below, we can make better decisions for your child's long term dental health while sparing them multiple uncomfortable visits.
The hall crown technique allows us to place prefabricated crowns without numbing or drilling. Stainless Steel Crowns cover the entire tooth and are by far the most effective restoration in terms of predictability and longevity. If needed, space for the crown can be created using orthodontic separators (as opposed to drilling on the tooth).
Povidone Iodine is an over-the-counter antiseptic liquid that kills harmful bacteria in our mouth. It is an easy, effective way to prevent cavities in our mouth.
A preventative approach to oral health is so important and we feel strongly about helping our patients understand how to avoid more costly and invasive treatments down the road. We want to assist in laying a foundation for a lifelong healthy smile.
Diet and Cavities
Our diet plays a critical role in the development of cavities. Understanding how what we eat plays a role in our oral health is a huge step in wholistic, preventative care to encourage overall wellness.
Fluoride helps to remineralize our teeth, kill bacteria, and prevents future tooth breakdown.
It is safe to use in appropriate quantities.
A diagnostic SED is a minimally invasive way to determine the vitality of a tooth. Using this technique improves the chances of success.